CBS and Nielsen are pushing for a new way in tracking TV viewership. TV has finally realized that age and sex don't seem to be good predicators of audience behavior. After extensive research, they are pushing for a model based on what people buy and what makes them buy than demographics.
The new categories they are suggesting are:
- TV companions: For this group, TV is almost always on and is like a member of the family.
- Media trendsetters: Early adopters of technology and new content, and also 39% multicultural.
- Sports enthusiasts: Made up mostly of men, but most guys aren't classified here. This group also likes action-adventure programming.
- Program passionates: Highly involved with favorite shows, and the biggest DVR time-shifters.
- Surfers and streamers: Most open to watching alternative content on TV and most often using laptops or tablets to multitask while watching TV. They skew young, but include a large component of 50-plus people.
- TV moderators: Those who enjoy being experts and leading others' choices.
Here's a detailed article on the change – http://adage.com/article/mediaworks/cbs-viewers-age-sex-matter-marketers/149534/
What do you think? To me it seems more like they are catching on to how the web has worked for years.