All of the major applications in Final Cut Studio support the use of an external video monitor. However, each application is a little different in how you set it up and not all applications will support every configuration of hardware cards or decks. Be sure the hardware is powered on and properly connected before launching an application.
Final Cut Pro
- Choose Final Cut Pro > Easy Setup. Pick the profile that matches your hardware.
- Choose View > External Video > All Frames (Command + F12).
- If you have more than one device, you can specify it by choosing View > Video Playback > and choosing the device.
- Choose the Setup Room by pressing Command + 1.
- Locate the Video Output menu toward the right edge.
Note: Color currently does not support FireWire monitoring of any kind including DVCPRO HD and AJA IO devices.
- Choose Motion > Preferences and click the Output tab.
- Select an Output path based on your active hardware.
- Choose Soundtrack Pro > Preferences and click the Video Out tab.
- Select a device from the popup menu.
DVD Studio Pro
- Choose DVD Studio Pro > Preferences. and click the Simulator tab.
- Choose a Video and Audio path for the Simulator and click OK.
- To invoke, click the Simulator button and use the virtual controls on the Simulator window.
Like this tip? It comes from the book
Final Cut Studio On the Spot from Focal Press.