A fun technique when shooting water is to go for the long exposure. The water goes silky and becomes great to look at. For many, this type of shooting means a solid tripod and a remote release. But what happens if you don’t own those items (or have them with you)? That’s easy… improvise.
- Put the camera in manual mode and set it on a flat surface like a bench, garbage can, or railing.
- Set your aperture to the smallest aperture you have.
- Attach a ND filter if you have one.
- Set the timer delay on the camera. This way after you push the button to release the shutter, the camera will wait a few seconds before firing (this will stabilize the shot).
- Turn on in-camera noise reduction.
- Fire away.
For more photo techniques, check out Photofocus — www.Photofocus.com